Saturday, October 17, 2009

Phase I - Part C [Why I'm Writing]


I've already suggested, "If you are a Resistance Patriot of any kind, then a state of war exists between you and the current oppressive regime!" I'm reiterating that statement again here, so that you may begin to think of yourselves as standing on a very real battlefield, to fight a war that you did not start, but was declared upon you! Nonetheless, you must fight with all your strength and skills, steeling your will in the face of very real casualties ...for there will be many. In addition, battles can be quite fluid, often unpredictable, and may require learning new skills quickly and improvising others on the spot. Often, Irish call upon their ancestors to go into battle with them. It is amazing the courage, finesse and balance that come just at the speaking of their names. Try this one if you wish: "O Cyrus of the Persians, rouse yourself to stand with us in battle," or perhaps, "Cyrus the Mighty, Just and Wise, leads us forward." You are warriors now, of an ancient, honorable and venerable path of blazing fire. So stand with the poise, the demeanor, and courage of YOUR ancient Persian warrior-poets. A further suggestion before pressing on --warriors never go into battle angry with anyone, or with anything ...with deadly skills, with 'feeling,' with conviction, yes, but never anger. That's because anger is a war against yourself.

We have much yet to cover, but someone has asked me why I'm writing this Resistance Manifesto, and as an Irish, how is it, I even care about Iranians? So this is probably belated, but here's my answer. My best friend for years (who is gone now) was from Tehran, and for his memory I have strong loyalty. Another, more recent friend, Ali, is one of the missing from the protests. Then, watching the first protest in Tehran after the fabricated election, I spotted someone in the crowd that I recognized. Deep inside I felt he would not survive long, as I have some personal experience with the brutality that can be part of politics in the Middle East. While the Western media seemed to lack driving interest in the happenings there, I, like so many across the planet, found myself riveted to Twitter, You Tube, Tehran Bureau and Facebook ...desperate for any crumb of information, and, unable to not weep at what was happening there.

If I told you that at some point I can't explain Iranians became a family to me, that would be close to the desperation and shell shock and anguish that poured through me. I'm reasonably certain most of us will have images in our minds that will last a lifetime. The one that pushed me over the edge into "Iranian Activism" was the one above.

What I saw in the face of this young protester was the face of my son, and my heart burst. After studying three different martial arts, the disaster about to happen was clear at least to me. Look at the young man's hands ...he is NO danger to the officer, yelling protest, yes, but no danger; this is not a rioter. Now look at the position of the policeman's nightstick. The blow about to be inflicted is with the intent to kill, not subdue a disgruntled citizen upset about a fake election. It became my son that I HAD to rise to defend, and still is! When Neda was shot in cold blood, it was one of my sisters who had just died. But, you see, that is really the case now isn't it? And there's more: As I told a fine young Iranian woman here where I live, I am Irish-Celt, so that means we are distant cousins to Iranians. I had to stand up for my tribe. I felt compelled to do something that may save one Persian life!

Certainly, I'm not expecting everyone to agree with all that I say, or even like any of it at all. Although, if what I write in the blog saves one life, it will be worth it. Things are transpiring so quickly there in Iran, my main concern is a life will be lost because I was not timely enough on a particular piece of information. I'll try to type faster.

***More to come***

No comments:

Post a Comment